Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Winter Birds of Color

I don't know. Whenever I see a male Cardinal, Blue Jay, or a pair of Chickadees on a bright sunny Winter day surrounded with snow, it's always a moment for me to stop and be in awe. It seems those male Cardinals get brighter and bolder in color during the cold of Winter. I just marvel.

One of my favorite things to do with Blue Jays is put out peanuts in the shell along my back deck railing. It is a sight to see when they come swooping in for a cache of those morsels. Bill, my husband, shakes his head when he observes them picking one up, and then a different one, to take the one that is heavier, or has maybe two vs. one peanuts inside. It brings a smile to my face as well. It is so much fun to observe and appreciate these wild visitors to my backyard.

That's why I am so thrilled to be able to bring that kind of joy to people in my newly discovered service work. I went out this morning to fill feeders of two customers of mine and I was loving every minute of it. 25 degree temperature, sunny, and no wind. It was gorgeous and I get paid to be out in it and bringing joy to the people inside (or who will be inside) during this coming Thanksgiving weekend. I love my job.

Birds of many colors and sizes just seem more beautiful when I get to feed them for a living. I'm happy and give thanks. Now I wish you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving and a hope you can find something to be grateful for as well.

No comments: