Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Bird Count

Saturday, the 20th was my area's Christmas Bird Count. I promised I would watch my feeders that day and report on the number and species of birds that visited that day. It was the first day in many weeks that I spent so much time just watching like I used to. Those kind of days were "pre-bird business" days. Since my business started to "fly" back in June of this year, I haven't really allowed myself too much relaxation with my backyard birds. One was long overdue.

And because this was promised, I reveled in it. I started out with a leisurely cup of coffee with my honey. He asked what I actually had to do for the CBC. I told him that I had to count as many birds of a specific species that came at a time, to get as true a count of how many are actually in my groups in my area. So, once he knew he started to help me. Now, this is like the fourth year I've done the Count, but this is actually the first year he assisted me.

It was nice and companionable doing the count with him in the house with me. I would be in my sunroom/office while he was in the kitchen or living room doing tree decorating stuff. He would spot some birds and say his count, that would cause me to turn from my computer and look out my room's windows and start counting my view of that particular specie. Then we would compare notes or chat about what else we were seeing. It was a wonderful way to spend the day together. I will have fond memories of this year's Christmas Bird Count.

Now for what we actually tallied:
15 Mourning Doves, 1 Red Bellied Woodpecker, 2 Downy Woodpeckers, 1 Hairy Woodpecker, 3 Blue Jays, 5 Black Capped Chickadees, 2 Tufted Titmice, 2 White Breasted Nuthatches, 1 Robin, 10 Cardinals, 14 Dark Eyed Juncos, 5 House Finches, 14 American Goldfinch, and 2 House
Sparrows.
Here's the Titmouse at the feeder, if you can find it. Sorry about my pix. I have a letter into Santa for a better camera to take bird pix with.

And a couple more shots I took on Saturday.
One Bird, One Bill.



3 comments:

NW Nature Nut said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Isn't feeding birds a joy? Have fun. I'll check back sometime soon and see who is visiting your feeders!

Vickie said...

Great bird count story. You have some wonderful windows to look out from. Also plenty of snow! Here's to warm mugs and hearts.
Happy holidays. Vickie

trailhikingal said...

Nice site! I really enjoyed reading your blogs. I agree, nice windows, great views!